The Toy Scavengers : Top 10 Cartoon Theme Songs of the 80s and 90s Part 1

Here at The Toy Scavenger I grew up with Action Figures from the 80s/90s, and you couldn't have a Toy line without having an accompanying Cartoon with a kick ass theme song, it just didn't make sense back then! So I decided to compile a list of my favourite Theme songs from the cartoons that have a Toy line from when we were all kids.
Now there are plenty of people that wont agree with this list, as we all have our own memories, and opinions of which cartoon were the best. For example, Master of The Universe was such a big hit its hard to argue that it shouldn't be in our top ten? but when you think about it, is the theme song any good? really? In fact there's not much of a song. You have Prince Adam Aka He-Man describing how he got his powers, his allies, and he's enemy's, but there's no singing, there is a tune, but can this be classed as a theme song? I don't think so, so unfortunately it doesn't make my list (Really Sorry MOTU Fans!).

That's why I have made this list of the best THEME Songs. there is a few I have missed that a lot of people like but this is what I grew up with here at The Toy Scavenger and remember watching when I was a kid. I hope you like it and remember to add your suggestions in the comment section, be kind.

Number 10 - Action Force Theme Song



Now G.I Joe fans, we are a UK site and or though im sure G.I Joe is what you remember seeing on a television screens you have got to remember that here at the Toy Scavenger i was only ever shown Action Force, the UK equivalent to G.I Joe. When I was growing up I had no idea that there was a original version of the Toy line, Television show, and Movie and I was happy.
But on a trip to Orlando in the early 90s I got really confused as when I turned on the TV in the hotel room (one of the first things a child must do when entering a hotel room) to my horror my favourite Action Force heroes had been re-drafted to something called G.I Joe and instead of yelling their famous catch phrase of "Go Force", they were saying "Yo Joe" without a suspicious dubbed voice over like I was used too! this was way too much for me, feeling deceived and traumatised we took a trip to a Local Toy store and I bought my first official G.I Joe Action figure. While I am still scared from this experience as you can tell, I still like the original theme song from Action Force and intact I prefer it more than the G.I Joe theme and so it makes my list. Sorry G.I Joe fans, I have since realised the error of my ways with the toy line if that's any comfort to you.


Number 9 -The Real Ghostbusters / Slimer and The Real Ghostbuster Theme Song




We all know that famous line "Who You Gonna Call, Ghostbusters", and it is really a great song, which is why this theme is on our list, but the reason its only in position  9 is because the song had already been made for the films and even though I love it and it has been slightly adapted for the cartoon, I feel like its a kind of cheating not being an original theme like a lot of the others. So The Real Ghostbusters makes position 9 in my list of Theme songs.

Number 8 -The Uncanny X-men Theme Song / Spiderman the animated Series




In Joint 8th place is X-Men and Spiderman, this is because in the 90s you couldn't go into a toy store without seeing a Toybiz figure line of either The X-Men or Spiderman, and you couldn't turn on a TV on a Saturday morning without seeing the X-Men or Spiderman. Between the two I prefer the X-Men theme personally, but to be fair they are both equal of quality and these themes still give me goose bumps before the shows start. With the X-Men theme there is no lyrics but the Action pack intro and sound effects add that little extra to a great tune. Spiderman has lyrics if you can call them that with Spiderman repeated over and over again. But as these are one of my favourite cartoons of the 90s I have added them to the list.


Number 7 - Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors Theme song



When I was younger a lot of my friends including myself didn't even realise the Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors had a Toy line. Today that toy line is extremely hard to find and very collectable to those that love the show. My first experience of this show was on early morning TV in the 90s when it was shown as a re-run at 6am on Channel 4 just before Galaxy Rangers, Super Mario Bros and Sister Sister (all great shows) you needed to get up pretty early in order to catch it in the UK. Luckily enough my father would go to car boot sales meaning I was up and ready to see it or press the record on our VHS. This Theme song has all the quality of a late 80s theme should have, a description, great lyrics and an awesome 80s electro tune, and has an amazing sound. This would be higher on anyone else's list, but as I only had limited views of the show its at a solid number 7.

Number 6 - Bucky O' Hare Theme Song





I am going to make a statement that may shock some people, and some people may not agree but...Bucky O' Hare has got one for the greatest theme songs or all time! There I said it. With a short lived cartoon series and not so successful toy line by Hasbro, Bucky O'Hare didn't hit the heights of Transformers or G.I Joe like Hasbro wanted, but with a great Theme song the cartoon series will go down in history. With an untold amount of action in the intro, the fast paced rap style tune and the lyrics to boot this theme has made a permanent imprint on my mind. I can still hear it now even without watching the video above! I still love it!



What do you think of our selections so far? has your favourite theme Song been featured yet? check out 
The Toy Scavengers : Top 10 Cartoon Theme Songs of the 80s and 90s Part 2 to see if it is featured in the final part. For the second part of our post follow the link below

The Toy Scavengers : Top 10 Cartoon Theme Songs of the 80s and 90s Part 2


Extra Mention- Batman The Animated Series Theme Song



I have selected Batman The Animated Series as an extra mention. When this was being first aired, The TV channels were battling for my attention with Spider-man and the X-Men, at the time I would watch these shows and give batman a miss as i was a big Marvel fan, But as I got older I would revisit this series and realise how good it was. There is not much of a theme song so that's why it didn't make the list but its dark undertone and seriousness created a generation of Batman fans that would move away from the camp live action show we were used too in the past making this theme deserve an honourable mention. This theme may not have a catchy tune, or edgy lyrics but it is instantly recognisable and along with the video it has made a stamp on history so it deserves a place.


The Toy Scavengers : Top 10 Cartoon Theme Songs of the 80s and 90s Part 2 Coming Soon

Share on Google Plus

I Am The Toy Scavenger

I Have written a little something for you to have a look at. Thanks for Reading
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment